Pages

Purging: Home Office V.1

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Where are we going to put that? As many of you can imagine, downsizing often makes us ask this very question. Moving into a tiny house can throw many problems your way. The very first problem my husband and I are facing is whether or not to keep things. Case in point, my home office - more specifically my two favorite DIY projects we've ever done. The first one I decided to take on is my desk. My husband and I purchased this beauty for $35 at a local thrift store and then painted and distressed it together.


This desk, my beloved, one of a kind, shabby chic, desk - is one of my favorite things that we own. It came with all these nooks and crannies and tons of drawers for storage. The only problem with it is, IT'S HUGE! And if I'm being truly 100% honest with myself, my desk was never used as a desk, but a means to store away all my clutter. If you don't know this about me already, I am a planner addict. 

"Hi, my name's Aubrey and I'm a planner addict."

More specifically, I am in the Filofax movement. If you've never heard of Filofax, I suggest you do a small Google search because they're pretty popular! Here's a picture of my personal sized Finsbury in the color Antique Rose.



I love this thing. It's my favorite tool to use for planning my day, and whenever I use it I am way more productive. As you can see, it also helps me get my creativity out for the day by decorating. My love of planner decorating was the root reason for wanting a desk. Bigger drawers = more sticky notes, stickers, washi tape, blah, blah, blah! Well, now that we're moving into a house that is literally less than half the size of the house we're in - the desk's just gotta go. So I had to do some serious purging. It broke my heart to see packs upon packs of stationery cards, pens, pencils, envelopes, markers, etc. just tossed out. But by the end of the day, I managed to get everything planner related into this little tote.


Isn't it cute? I actually managed to snag this 31 Organizing Tote for $10! Here are it's contents, and yes, it all fits!
  • 4 Pencil Box Containers ($0.50 each from Wal-Mart)
    • One box holds stickers
    • One box holds Washi-Tape
    • One box holds all pens, pencils, sharpies, and writing utensils.
    • One box holds my mini hot glue gun and its sticks. 
  • My Organizer X-Press Label Maker
  • A Corner Rounder
  • A package of sticky tack.
  • Scissors
  • Stapler/Staples
  • Pinking Shears
  • 3 Ring Hole Punch
  • Single Hole Punch
  • 20 Packages of Sticky Notes (Hi, I'm Aubrey and I'm also a sticky note hoarder.)
  • 5 To-Do List Pads from Target Dollar Spot 
  • 2 Folders ($0.50 each from Wal-Mart)
    • One folder hold decorative paper and scrapbook paper.
    • One folder holds lined notebook paper.
  • 1 Project life box
    • Contains half of two seperate collections. 
  • 1 Ruler
  • 1 Pack of Owl Blank Note Cards

I've been using this system for about a week now and I'm actually really enjoying it. It's made my planning sessions way easier as I am not getting up several times to find the scissors or hole puncher. Everything is in its place, and I know exactly where to look. I also like it because I can keep it out in the open, which for me is a constant reminder to check my planner or to update it. It doesn't take up much space either, its much like women who keep their knitting yarn by their chairs in the living room. 

By going through all of the "supplies" I had collected over the past few years, I came to the conclusion that I don't really use my desk, which is why it is so easy for me to say goodbye. I realized that most of my planning sessions occur in our living room where I can be watching a movie with my husband and mindlessly decorating at the same time.  

I have a feeling that getting rid of my home command center in my office is going to be a little bit more painful. But, for now I am going to stop and enjoy this accomplishment for awhile. After all, simple living is about taking the time to stop and notice the small things. So, if you're still with me on this journey I challenge you to purge one area in your house. It can be something as small as one drawer, or as big as an entire room! It's your choice. But when you do - take a step back and enjoy the feeling of an uncluttered space. And if you're not ready for an actual purge, then why don't you dedicate a week to noticing the small things? Start a blessings journal and begin living a little more simply today. 

Rejoice in the little things.

Love,
Aubrey


No comments:

Post a Comment